Friday, August 27, 2010

Wine Tasting, Lobster Potato Salad

I haven't posted for a few days.  Combine fatigue, writer's block, and the fact that due to this weekend's marathon stove session I had more leftovers than refrigerator space, and there you have it - a simple recipe for a neglected blog.  It's time I got off my lazy arse and started doing what I love - cooking and writing. 

I took a day off of work to attend a training at the animal shelter, and once that was over I picked up the ingredients for the lobster potato salad.  I came home, prepared the salad, and stuck it in the refrigerator to chill while I scooted across town to a wine tasting in Boston's version of Little Italy - the North End

Thanks to my search for a bottle of Lacrima di Morro, an Italian wine featured in La Cucina Italiana's "25 under $25" article (June 2010), I discovered The Wine Bottega on Hanover Street.  Located in Boston's North End, they obviously feature a great selection of Italian regional wines, but they feature other countries' wines as well.  They specialize in wines made by small producers, and many of their selections are organic.  Best part?  Free tastings every Friday from 5-8.  I have never been to a wine tasting before, but I think they may become my new after-work ritual.  They last about 15 minutes, and they are based on a new theme each week.  This week's theme?  Critter Wines - we tasted six wines featuring various animals on the labels.  Did you know that porcupines party in Italian vineyards when the growing conditions are aligned to result in a good wine?  Now you know.  Sign up for their newsletter to learn more! 


I am not a wine connoisseur by any means - my knowledge of wine amounts to red, white, sweet, dry, bottle, box, I like it, I don't like it.  And because I have an attitude problem, I refused to buy non-Italian wines ("French wines get all the attention but we started it, that's not right!").  After tasting a Roucaillat, I've changed my mind.  Sorry, French wines!  I won't write you off anymore.  You, dear readers, will be hearing more about my education in vino.


I don't have the words to describe the wines I tasted - when I read wine reviews, the samples are often described in almost human terms.  As my mom said, "Fruity, yet assertive?  Are they talking about wine or a co-worker?"  Today, I picked up a red (2009 Sergio Mottura Civitella Rosso) and a white (2006 Martilde Malvasia Dedica).  I can't tell you what flowers they smell like or what kind of barrels they were aged in, but I can tell you what dishes they inspired me to cook and eat.  I'm saving the red until I duplicate the pappardelle w/ wild boar ragu, and I am drinking a glass of the white while I write, wishing I had made a simple risotto with pecorino romano and thinly sliced fennel.  Guess I know what I'm making tomorrow.



Here is the recipe for the Lobster Potato Salad - it goes together quickly, and it does not require much chilling time.  However, like most mixed dishes, it tastes better after the flavors have been allowed to blend for about a day.  To save time, you can buy prepared lobster meat, but you won't be able to save the shells to make flavorful seafood stock.



Lobster Potato Salad
1.5lbs potatoes (red or Yukon Golds work well)
1-2T. butter
meat from 1 1lb. lobster, or 1 cup prepared lobster meat 
2-4 green onions, sliced into thin rings
juice from 1/2 lemon
splash olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Slice the potatoes lengthwise into quarters, then slice into half-inch wedges.  Place these in a pot and fill with enough water to cover by at least an inch.  Salt the water, bring to a boil, then simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender.  When they are cooked, drain them and set them aside to cool.  In another similar-sized pot, melt the butter over high heat so that the butter begins to brown slightly.  Add the potatoes, remove from heat immediately, and toss the cooled potatoes with the melted butter.  Set aside.

While potatoes are cooking, slice the green onions and put them in a large bowl.  Next, add the lobster meat.  If you are using a whole lobster, break the lobster apart overtop of the bowl so that any flavorful juices are not lost. 




Once the meat is removed from the lobster, or if you are using prepared lobster, use your fingers to tear the meat into small chunks.  Add the cooked and buttered potatoes, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper.  Toss until all ingredients are evenly distributed, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. 




Once the salad has chilled, you are ready to serve.  Place on a plate or in a shallow bowl over lettuce leaves.  Mangiare!


3 comments:

  1. Look for restaurants that offer food and wine pairing meals. It is a good way to start learning about pairing food with wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your blog. I will look forward more interesting blogs in your website

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate the feedback - I definitely use wine in my cooking and try to pair appropriately. I'm glad you enjoy!

      Delete