Saturday, August 14, 2010

Weekend Update...

So much food to report on this weekend!  I'll start with Friday's farmers' market at Copley Square, where I picked up three peaches, a pound of Italian green beans, two purple peppers, four heirloom tomatoes, and a pound of callaloo.  Yes, callaloo.  I've never tried it before, but that's the point of this blog - trying new things and sharing my excitement when I find things I like. 

Outside of the two hours I spent at the animal shelter, today was devoted to food.  After leaving the shelter, I hopped on the T and headed to the North End to learn how to shuck oysters at Mercato del Mare's "Shuck U," a free oyster-shucking lesson which they offer every Saturday afternoon.  Shucking wasn't as easy as I thought it would be!  My first oyster was a bit of a chore, but with a little guidance I got the hang of it.  I cannot wait to buy my own oyster knife so I can slurp fresh oysters in my living room! 

I didn't leave the store with only knowledge; I also picked up a half-pound of cod and a half-pound of cockles so I could try out a version of a recipe I saw in the latest La Cucina Italiana (spoiler alert - it was delicious!).  Cheers to the staff at Mercato del Mare - their friendliness, their selection, and the wonderful neighborhood vibe sets them apart from other stores in Boston, and the fact that they have squid ink in the cooler has given me the motivation to get my rear end to the North End more often.  I didn't buy the squid ink today, but trust me - there's black pasta in my future. 

Once I got back to my apartment, I made a small batch of fresh pasta, delicious stuffed peaches, and finally, I made the main course - baked cod with cockles and tomatoes over fresh tagliatelle. 

Generally, I prefer cooking with salt cod over fresh since I feel it's easier to get the right texture from salt cod, but I gave the fresh stuff a shot, and boy am I glad I did!  Baked about 5 minutes per side, it was tender, flaky, and didn't have even a hint of dryness.  Here's a visual of the finished product:


Tomorrow, I'll post recipes and upload photos, and I'll tweet my progress as I make Callaloo, a Carribean stew similar to gumbo made with - duh - the callaloo leaves I bought yesterday.  Now go eat something!

No comments:

Post a Comment