Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chicken Soup for the Sinuses

Two days in a row without cooking?  Not cool, I know.  I'm not feeling so hot tonight.  Nothing sounds good, and I could have gone to bed at 7:30 and slept through the night.  But, I need to eat something; if I go to bed hungry, I'll wake up in the middle of the night even hungrier and won't fall asleep until I eat. 

Because I feel like I may be fighting off a cold or a sinus infection, I'll share some of my go-to foods that I eat when I'm sick:  Pastini in chicken broth, Bolthouse Farms Carrot Juice, Traditional Medicinals Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat Tea, Ceres Apricot Juice, and boiled white rice with butter and chile flakes. Each of these foods and drinks is either nutrient-dense or calorie-dense - after all, being dehydrated and malnourished will delay the recovery process.

Pastini in Chicken Broth
1 clove garlic
1 cup chicken broth
1T. pastini
splash lemon juice

Smash the garlic clove with the flat edge of a knife.  Peel the papery skin off the garlic and add the smashed clove to the chicken broth in a small saucepan.  Bring the chicken broth to a boil.  When broth is boiling, add pastini and cook until it is slightly overdone.  Pour into a bowl, add a splash of lemon juice, and eat while it's steaming hot. 

Variation - if you're really sick, add a handful of cubed silken tofu to the chicken broth - it contains a lot of nutrition, including protein, and the texture won't irritate a sore throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment