Sunday, September 19, 2010

Oh, Snapper!

Farewell, fish-free food.  I have enjoyed my vegetarian and vegan recipes, but I've also craved seafood.  Yesterday, I trekked to the North End to pick up a half-dozen oysters and a slice of salmon from Mercato del Mare.  It felt great to be back!  Another customer was in the store inquiring about snapper, and I instantly erased the salmon from my mind and started building a list of ingredients to go with a nice, fresh piece of snapper. 

First ingredient?  Capers.  I have always used bottled capers in brine; I decided that today was the day I'd try capers packed in salt, which are said to have more flavor and a better texture.  I purchased a tub at Salumeria Italiana, and discovered that the rumors are true.  Salt-packed capers aren't much more expensive than capers in brine.  They should be rinsed before use (unless you're using them in a sauce where salt is called for - then use as is and omit extra salt), but this is not time consuming.  If you can find them, use them. 

The other ingredients I planned to use are things I already had at home, like parsley and oranges, so I decided to head back to the apartment.  That's when I walked by a small gelato shop - this place was tiny; if I had been walking with a purpose I may not have even noticed it...I literally stopped dead in my tracks, walked backwards a few steps, and realized that yes, I had in fact seen gelato.  I felt like Chunk when his rant about his frustration with the other Goonies was cut short by his discovery of the Fratelli's ice cream freezer.  I wish I knew the name of the place where I purchased my gelato - I'll get it next time.  If you can't wait, it's on the corner of Hanover and Cross Street right next to the Citizens ATM.  To my delight, they'll put two different flavors in the same cup, which saved me from having to decide between hazelnut and pistachio.  Each flavor was delightfully rich.  The pistachio contained tiny chunks of real pistachios, while the hazelnut was more generous with the nuts - hazelnut halves swam about and added a pleasant crunchy surprise!  I did not care that it was too cold out to be eating gelato, I sat down on a park bench, people watched, and savored every spoonful.  Note to self - don't hold a paper cup in your bare hand on a cold day, grab more napkins next time and insulate! 

Today, I made the snapper, along with a batch of seasoned rice.  This meal was unbelievably satisfying, and the zesty citrus and the clean, fresh flavor of the parsley led my tastebuds to believe summer was still alive and kicking.  Sometime this winter, when it's been blustery and gray for weeks on end, I will make this recipe to remind myself of warmer days.

Broiled Snapper with Citrus-Parsley Pesto

1/2 cup finely minced flat-leaf parsley
zest of 2 oranges
1.5 T. salt-packed capers, chopped (do not rinse)
2 T. olive oil
1/4 t. coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
2 snapper fillets, skin removed

Combine all ingredients except the fish in a small bowl, mix well to form consistent paste, and set aside for at least 30 minutes for flavors to blend.

Prepare the broiler on high heat.  Place each slice of fish in the center of a square of aluminum foil.  Spread each slice generously with the pesto, then fold up the edges of the foil to form a package. 

Broil for 15 minutes.  During the last two minutes of cooking, open up the package so that the pesto is exposed to the heat.  Let it start to brown a little, but do not let it burn.  Remove from oven and let sit for 3-5 minutes.  Serve with seasoned rice. 



Seasoned Rice

2 cups freshly cooked rice
1 T. Goya Adobo with Bitter Orange seasoning
1 T. olive oil

Combine the Goya seasoning and the olive oil with the cooked rice.  Fluff and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment