Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pasta BolognEASY

These days, I haven't done much cooking.  Due to the fact that both the Boston Bruins and the Detroit Red Wings advanced to the Stanely Cup semifinals, my time has been otherwise occupied, and due to the fact that so many of these games have been decided in OT, I've spent most non-game days being too tired to do much of anything.  Oh, the joys of being a sports fan! 

Last night, I swore I was going to pick up groceries and create an amazing dinner, but on the subway ride home, I realized that nothing sounded good.  I also realized that I was nodding off.  I needed to cook something requiring no more than 5 minutes of active prep time.  A very dim lightbulb began to flash above my brain, and I created the following recipe using ingredients that I already had in my pantry and in my freezer!

A true bolognese sauce should simmer on the stove for hours, but my BolognEASY sauce only takes about ten minutes.  Canned tomatoes and frozen meatballs perked up with a few herbs and spices may draw the ire of many an Italian granny, but to a tired cook, this recipe is a blessing.  Try it yourself! 

Pasta BolognEASY

1 16-oz box dried pasta
12 oz. frozen seasoned meatballs, thawed *
splash olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
small splash of wine (less than 1/4 cup)
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
grated pecorino, to serve


Cook the pasta.  In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.  Add the garlic and shallot.  Cook for a minute or two, stirring, until they are slightly softened.  Now, add the meatballs and the wine.  Using a potato masher, squish the meatballs until they fall completely apart. 

Now, add all remaining ingredients and mix well.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then cover and reduce to simmer.  Cook the sauce for 15-20 minutes (about the same time it takes for the water to boil and the pasta to cook).  Serve with grated pecorino. 


* I used my own frozen meatballs (click here for recipe), but many stores carry brands of frozen meatballs in their grocery section, and some meat counters sell pre-made meatballs.  If you are going to use store-bought meatballs, just make sure to buy a brand with more meat than filler ingredients, Italian-style seasoning, and little or no chemicals/additives.

2 comments:

  1. Hey,

    I stumbled onto your blog after searching for some good butchers in the Boston area on Yelp (I am moving to Boston in a month's time, and need to start scouting the local food spots ahead of time). I really like your approach to cooking (the title itself has my three essential food groups), and your recipes look really good, I'll give the above one a try sometime this week . If you have any recommended spots to pick up high-quality foodstuffs, I am always open to them - I will be at BU for PhD, but will hopefully continue my own variety of food blogging on the side (prolefood.blogspot.com).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliments!!! As for favorite food shops, you've inspired me to write my next post - stay tuned - and until then, I've reviewed several of my favorites on Yelp, which I've linked to the blog page. Good luck at BU, and have fun trying some of the Comm Ave pubs/restaurants once you're settled in!

    ReplyDelete