Sunday, January 30, 2011

Taste of the Tropics Stir Fry - A Vacation For Your Tastebuds

I like snow.  I think it's pretty, I think it makes the air smell fresh, and I love making snow angels and snow sculptures.  One of my favorite things to do is walk around the city during a gentle snowfall, and I smile like a doofy kid every time I see fluffy white flakes outside my window.  But after four major snowstorms in the past 30 days and another one on deck for Wednesday, even I am a little burned out on snow.  I've found myself longing for the beach, sunshine, and fresh summer vegetables.  Since I can't bring the feeling of the Cape's sand, the scent of sunscreen, the energy of Fenway Park, or the taste of a burger or hot dog fresh off the grill to this dismal January day, I decided to transport myself to a tropical paradise - well, I transported my tastebuds at least. 

There's not much that tastes more tropical than coconuts, rum, lime juice, and shrimp.  If you could use a sensory break from the winter doldrums, stop into your grocery store and buy what you'll need for this recipe before the milk/toilet paper/batteries crowd shows up, download some Jimmy Buffett or Bob Marley, and use your snow day to whip up this virtual vacation!

Taste of the Tropics Stir Fry

For the stir-fry sauce:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup spiced rum
1 T. red chile flakes
1 t. grated fresh ginger
1 t. Goya Adobo seasoning
generous grind black pepper
1 habanero pepper, quartered (optional)

1 T. coconut oil (can substitute butter or vegetable oil)
1 large shallot, minced
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled
1 jicama, diced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup fresh coconut, cut into 1/4" strips

Cooked white rice, to serve


Make the stir fry sauce.  If using the habanero, let sit for approximately 30 minutes, then remove the habanero and discard. 

In a large wok or frying pan, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat until it melts.  Saute the shallot until it begins to soften.  Now, add the remaining ingredients.  Stir-fry until the shrimp just begin to curl and are firmed up - do not overcook.  Add the stir-fry sauce, toss several times until all the vegetables and shrimp are coated, then remove from heat and serve hot over cooked rice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment