Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Last Call Cuisine

Several days ago, Eater.com featured chef/author/TV personality Anthony Bourdain discussing his favorite 10-second drunk/hungover meals (view video here).  Besides proving that great minds think alike, this short video clip left me wistfully reminiscing over a long-forgotten career plan I developed during my final year of college over pitchers and nachos at Conors:  a late-night cooking show strategically aired 30 minutes after last call named "Drunken Dining for the S#!+faced Chef," wherein I, the host, would whip up yummy recipes that required neither open flames nor cutlery.  Obviously, my career path has shifted and my vision never came into fruition, but because the urge to chow down after a night of drinking is pretty universal, I'll revisit the topic.

So what would I have cooked had I gone through with the creation of this television show?  Well, that's part of the reason I never went forward in the pursuit of this path - I felt that the microwave stifled my creativity.  However, I have several tricks up my sleeve.  Change into pajamas, turn on some MXC reruns, and enjoy one of these tasty, filling, and safe-to-prepare snacks! 

  • Oriental-flavored ramen noodles seasoned with a ton of crushed red chiles and about half a stick of butter.  Sodium, schmodium! 
  • Toast topped with roast beef deli slices, roasted red peppers from the jar, and warmed Classico Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo.  Makes an easy open-faced sandwich! 
  • Leftover cooked pasta combined with pesto sauce, bocconcini mozzarella, and bacon bits - heat in the microwave for a minute or two just to melt the mozzarella. 
  • Easy Mac with a spoonful of chipotle salsa and a dollop of sour cream. 
Now it's time to get interactive - do any of you have any go-to snacks that can be prepared without using the stove and/or knives?  If so, feel free to share and discuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment