Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tapas Time!

As some of you may know, I an undergoing some major changes in both my personal and professional life right now.  I am very grateful that each change has been positive.  To celebrate the fact that I’ve finally landed a job in my field, my best friend took me out to Estragon, a tapas lounge in Boston’s South End.  This was a new experience for both of us, and it was certainly incredible.  I was able to try several new flavors and dishes (all of which I am going to try to duplicate), and I discovered the world’s most perfect snack food – Garbanzos Fritos!  Seated in plush, upholstered chairs under the famous photo of Salvador Dali clutching a wild cat, we dined for three hours, savoring every bite until we physically could not fit any more food into our stomachs. 

Paella and empanadas aside, I am not very familiar with Spanish cuisine, so I was excited to be able to taste some unfamiliar flavors (even if I was nervous about mangling the Spanish pronunciations and looking like a horse's arse).  We began with Garbanzos Fritos (crispy fried chickpeas).  Sorry, Ernesto’s Pizza and Chocolate Jalapeno Gelato, you’ve been bumped down the list!  These crunchy little legumes now occupy the #2 spot on my list of favorite food discoveries.  Single Malt Scotch, consider yourself warned – this competition is heating up!  I have literally been having dreams about Garbanzos Fritos, and my best friend and I decided that it’s a much better snack than chips or popcorn.

I am not quite sure how I’ll duplicate these, considering that I don’t own a deep fryer (my arteries are thankful).  I’m going to attempt to use my wok to fry up a few of these babies.  They were very flavorful, but not spicy – the main flavors were paprika and olive oil, and I’m fairly certain I detected a hint of cumin.  If/when I am able to duplicate this recipe, I will share it with you. 

Next, we ordered fried sweetbreads.  This dish was one of Saturday’s specials, so they were not on the menu and therefore I have no idea what the dish was called in Spanish, except for maybe delicioso.  The sweetbreads themselves reminded me of a milder, creamier, and more buttery chicken liver.  They were served lightly fried, and accompanied by chopped fresh garlic, lemon juice, and some minced parsley, similar to Italian gremolata. 

Our final shared plate was Higaditos de Pollo Salteados (Sautéed Chicken Livers, Sultan Raisins, Sweet Sherry, Crème Fraîche on Toast).  This was a perfect blend of sweet, spicy, and savory.  The chef kept the chicken livers whole, the sauce contained the plump raisins and thin slices of raw garlic, and it was all served on one large piece of toast, which my friend and I cut into smaller pieces.  I would be interested to see if these flavors would work together in a pate served spread on individual toasts, as this execution might be slightly less cumbersome. 

Finally, we ordered individual plates for our entrees.  My friend ordered Chuletillas de Cordero (Grilled Baby Lamb Chops with Garlicky Cauliflower Mash), and I ordered Callos (Spicy Tripe, Trotter, Chorizo & Morcilla Stew).  Don't know what tripe or trotters are?  The lining of a cow's stomach and pigs' feet, respectively.  Chorizo and morcilla are both Spanish sausages.  This stew was absolutely delicious!  I could identify the trotters right away, because I remember my mom telling me that their texture is somewhat gelatinous.  I'm sure my butchers could fork over a few of these so I could try this stew.  The tripe had the texture of chicken fat at first, only it melted in my mouth like butter and the texture was not chewy and off-putting the way non-crisped chicken fat tends to feel.  The stew was tomato-based and spicy, a combination I'll never refuse.  Callos is not a recipe for the unadventurous, but for those of you who think outside the chicken breast, I highly recommend trying this stew if you can find it on a menu, and if I'm able to duplicate it, I will post the recipe. 

I wish I had ordered wine instead of a cocktail (I ordered a cocktail containing chartreuse, lime juice, and basil).  My cocktail was unique and I would order it again, but I recently fell in love with Rioja, and I think a glass or two would have complimented each course, especially the Callos.  I did order a glass of sherry after the meal.  Choosing one from their menu was not difficult - their sherry menu contains vivid descriptions of each offering, and I was sold on the Lustau Palo Cortado “Peninsula" when I read the line, "Lovers of single malt scotches should be impressed."  I've only tried lighter, dry sherries; this one had much more body and reminded me of the flavor of Sam Adams Utopia, a limited edition specialty beer.  Was I impressed, as promised?  Si!

Food always tastes better when it is shared with friends and family, especially when the occasion is a celebration, but even if I stopped in to dine alone, I would be one happy camper.  Estragon far surpassed my expectations, and I am delighted to have four new recipes to attempt to duplicate!  If you're ever in Boston's South End, stop in for a plate or two.  You won't be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment