Friday, December 3, 2010

Linguine with Tomato, Pancetta, and Capers

It's Arrabiata!  It's Amatriciana!  No, it's - damn, I don't even have a catchy name for this tasty tomato-based sauce that marries the flavors of penne all'arrabiata and bucatini all'amatriciana.   

It all started yesterday at approximately 4:45pm.  I received a text from a friend:  "What should I make for dinner?"  He explained that he had no discernable food cravings.  I started to think about what I was going to make for dinner after I ran my errands and went to the gym.  After a long, tiring day at work, I was barely motivated to pour milk into a bowl of cereal.  The longer I thought about it, the more I realized that what I really wanted wasn't to complete my "To-Do list," but to sit down with a large bowl of pasta and a glass of Chianti.  Library books can be returned late; I don't mind paying a small late fee.  The world won't end if someone else buys the last purple corduroy 3/4 sleeve jacket at Ralph Lauren.  Living on a 2nd floor walk-up on the top of a massive hill guarantees that my glutes won't atrophy if I skip the gym for a day (OK, week...).  I can ignore anything except a food craving, and I'm not opposed to procrastinating except when doing so delays dinner. 

My decision was final.  I picked up the ingredients at the store, headed back to my apartment, uncorked the Chianti, cranked up the Frank, and got down to business slicing and stirring to create this savory, spicy tomato sauce with a perfectly balanced piquancy achieved by throwing in a few salt-packed capers just before adding the pasta to the pot.  Try this one sometime, and make sure to sing along with Sinatra while you cook!

Linguine with Tomato, Pancetta, and Capers

1 pound dry linguine
splash olive oil
1/2 pound pancetta, sliced into 1/2" x 1" strips
1 large or 2 small shallots, minced
1 garlic clove, halved
2 pounds fresh tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
generous amount coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 - 1/2 t. crushed red chile flakes
2-3 T. salt-packed capers (do not rinse)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano

Cook the pasta.  In the meantime, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pot.  Add the pancetta and cook until it begins to crisp, approx. 6-8 minutes.  During the last minute of cooking, add the minced shallots and the garlic clove halves.  Cook until the shallots become translucent, 1-2 minutes.  Do not let them burn. 



Add the tomatoes, wine, pepper, and crushed red chile flakes.  Cook for approximately 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until tomatoes have softened and just barely hold their shape.



Now, remove the garlic clove halves and add the capers and oregano to the tomato sauce.  Cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring once or twice.  Next, reduce the tomato sauce to low heat and add the hot cooked pasta to the tomato blend, stirring until each strand of pasta is coated with sauce. 


Serve immediately, garnishing with a few fresh oregano leaves. 


1 comment:

  1. Capers make everything amazing. I want to try this... when I'm motivated to actually cook again.

    ReplyDelete