Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

Five days ago, I celebrated Thanksgiving with my mom by sitting down to a fabulous dinner, a fabulous dessert, and - obviously - fabulous leftovers!  I had plenty to be thankful for this year, including each one of my readers.  It really means the world to me that so many of you around the world have clicked on this site.  Whether you landed on this page because you’re my friend, because it popped up when you searched for a recipe or ingredient on Google, or because someone referred you to the site, you are the reason I continue to cook instead of ordering delivery, and you are the reason I try new recipes instead of reverting to my same-old-same-old tried-and-true entrees.  Molto grazie, amici! 

I did not do any cooking this weekend – when I’m at my mom’s, she’s the chef.  I stay out of the kitchen not only because space is limited and it can be cumbersome for two people to work at once, but also because she hides bacon and cheese from me and it's torturous to stand there without helping or snacking!  It’s usually a better idea for me to stay on the couch and chat from afar. 

My mom kicked off the holiday weekend by making a hearty lentil and lima bean soup, along with a deliciously rich spinach, crab, and cashew quiche – she really had to twist my arm to get me to eat 2 slices in one sitting (ha, ha, ha)!  For Thanksgiving dinner, we had a salad featuring romaine lettuce with dried cranberries, pecans, and goat cheese; roasted Cornish hens, Thanksgiving “risotto” (brown rice cooked in broth with apples, sage, and sausage); roasted Brussels sprouts; roasted carrots; mashed potatoes with dill; and for dessert, pear-ginger crème brulee, which was absolutely fantastic - I will have to try to make that one myself!  I opened a bottle of Pinot Grigio with dinner, and to go with the crème brulee, we poured an Italian dessert wine whose name escapes me right now – I’ll have to write an update later, but I can tell you right now that it was deep red, tasted like ultra-concentrated spiced raspberries, and paired exceptionally well with brie.  On Black Friday we had Turkey Day Round II, and then on Saturday we dined on turkey burger patties with tarragon and green onion, served alongside rosemary roasted potatoes and buttered carrots. 

I didn’t hit the mall or the Kittery outlets on Black Friday – in fact, my mom and I made it a point to avoid major shopping centers.  Instead, we went to On The Vine marketplace in Stratham, NH – otherwise known as foodie heaven!  On The Vine boasts a delightful produce section, including fresh Brussels sprouts on the branch as well as loose sprouts.  My mom picked up our Thanksgiving sprouts here and was approached by another customer who asked, “Excuse me, are you taking all of the small ones?!?”  “Yup,” she replied, and continued carefully selecting and hoarding only the daintiest of the little green sprouts!  The market also sells fresh meat from The Meat House, fresh fish, local wines, craft beers, a wide selection of organic, vegan, and/or gluten-free grocery items, candies, teas, coffees, chocolates, and eco-friendly home and body care products.  On The Vine is a one-stop shop for anyone who dedicates his or her life to exceptional food.    

$50 later, I left On The Vine with a bottle of locally produced blueberry wine and a bottle of mead, which I like to call Irish Wine (mead is actually a fermented solution of honey and water that was historically consumed at Celtic pagan ceremonies held in the warmer months).  I also picked up a bar of Torrone, herbal tea, and a tub of Ciao Bella Chocolate Jalapeno gelato, which is probably now my 3rd favorite food discovery (after single-malt scotch and Ernesto’s pizza).  My only regret is not purchasing 4 more bars of Torrone – not that I can’t find it in Boston, but I was eating it for breakfast this weekend and it didn't last nearly as long as I would have liked.     

Incredibly, I left Portsmouth the same size as I’d arrived.  As much as I love cooking, I also love it when my mom takes the reins and cooks her absolutely amazing holiday dinners.  How many days until Christmas?!?!?    

No comments:

Post a Comment