Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Around the World in Eighty Bites - India

Last night, I had a craving for Indian food, so I decided that my next stop on the “Around the World in Eighty Bites” train would be India. 

A lot of Americans are hesitant to try Indian food, which is a tragedy - Indian food is one of the healthiest and most diverse cuisines in the world.  Why it gets a bad rap, I do not know, but let me debunk a few stereotypes for these unadventurous folks:  1)  Not all Indian food is spicy.  Some is, but not all.  2)  Indian food doesn’t – how shall I put this politely? – cause intestinal discomfort.  3)  Indian food is not all vegetarian.  Again, some is, but not all. 

Trying to lump Indian cuisine into one category is difficult, because cooking styles vary by region.  Common to most Indian regions, however, is the use of rice, various types of lentils and other legumes, and spices.  “Curry powder” is a generic name given to Indian-style spice blends, and these blends vary widely.  Referring to all spice blends as simply "curry" would be like calling all Italian noodle-based dishes "pasta" without offering any sort of descriptors.  Some Indian spice blends contain more heat, achieved by using mustard seeds, chile pepper, garlic, ginger and black pepper, while some are sweeter and contain spices like cardamom, cinnamon, fenugreek, and clove.  Coriander, turmeric, and cumin are featured in many as well.  The blend you use will depend on the dish you are cooking and, of course, personal preference.  Experiment with several brands or create your own signature blend!

One of my favorite Indian dishes – and the one I cooked last night – is my version of Palak Paneer, a Northern Indian dish of cooked, mildly spiced spinach with cheese.  It is served over basmati rice, a slightly nutty flavored long-grain rice popular in Indian cuisine.  My recipe is different from the traditional version – I add tomatoes, I use brown basmati rice, and I add cooked peas to the rice.  I also like to serve it with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt to add a little extra richness.  Typically, the spinach is slow-cooked until it is broken down and soft, but I cooked mine for a shorter amount of time so that the leaves remained intact and some texture remained.  I could lie to you and claim that I did this to create a lighter version of the traditional dish, but it had nothing to do with culinary intentions and everything to do with the fact that not only was I hungry, but I was missing the Bruins game. 

If you cannot find Paneer cheese, Ricotta Salata is a decent substitute.  Some cooks claim that Feta is a good substitute, but I find it too salty for this dish and slightly overpowering.  I’ve also seen recipes claiming that Queso Fresco, or even mild Monterey Jack, makes a fairly decent substitute.

Another way that my recipe breaks from tradition is that I use a secret ingredient – Kala Jeera seeds.  Known as Black Cumin, these tiny seeds deliver a mild, flowery, and slightly musty taste.  I feel that just a small amount of Kala Jeera adds depth and mystery to the dish that can’t be achieved otherwise.  These seeds can be difficult to find, but Penzey’s carries them.  Please do try to find Kala Jeera – I don’t think this dish is as good without it!




Palak Paneer with Kala Jeera

2 T. butter or vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 t. whole yellow mustard seeds
½ t. ground coriander
½ t. ground cumin
½ t. Kala Jeera seeds
¼ t. crushed red pepper flakes
¼ t. ground ginger
10 oz. fresh baby spinach, rinsed, with water clinging to the leaves
4 oz. paneer cheese, diced

Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pan with a lid.  Add the onion, tomatoes, and spices, cover, and cook until the onions have lost their crunch and the tomatoes have given off juices. 





Stir the onion and tomato mixture several times so that the spices are consistently blended.  Now, add the spinach.  Cover and let cook until the spinach leaves have softened, approx 10-15 minutes.  Stir occasionally.



Finally, add the paneer cheese and stir several times. The cheese may start to melt slightly; this is OK.  Serve immediately over basmati rice.    

No comments:

Post a Comment