Thursday, October 28, 2010

New Cocktail Recipe - The Velvet Rope

Oops, I did it again…I have been extremely busy this week with trainings at the MSPCA animal shelter and preparing baked goods for their Halloween bake sale, which has turned out to be a more ambitious undertaking than I had imagined.  I’m making some treats for humans – Roasted Garlic Focaccia, Pumpkin Pecan Biscotti, and Chestnut Raisin Cookies – but most of my goodies are for the pups.  Last night, I made enough dough to make at least 300 “Canine Crumpets.”  Each time I’ve glanced at my to-do list, I’ve asked myself, “Sweetie, what were you thinking?!?”  I’ve realized that I’m no Martha Stewart – I’m more like her Black Sheep kid sister who says semi-questionable things at the dinner table and makes the drinks a little too strong.  But to all the rescue dogs who will be sampling my Canine Crumpets, I’m a domestic goddess, and their opinions are the only ones that truly matter this weekend.

Because I’ve been busy baking, I haven’t posted in a few days.  I don’t want to leave my readers hanging, so I’ll give you a great cocktail recipe that I created this summer.  Named "The Velvet Rope" because of its color, this vodka-based cocktail was inspired by the cover of Vogue’s July issue (right) featuring French actress Marion Cotillard.  The rich color of her dress, the hint of lace peeking out at her neckline, the dark lipstick – sweet, strong, and mysterious, with a spicy edge – just like the following drink.

The Velvet Rope

1 ½ oz. premium vodka, such as Ketel One
3 oz. organic 100% black cherry juice
½ t. bitter dark chocolate syrup*
1 thin slice habanero pepper

Combine in a shaker with ice, serve in a stemless martini glass, and wait for the hint of pepper to fire up your lips! 

VARIATION:  For a unique and artistic presentation, garnish by skewering one whole habanero pepper between two cherries. 


*  To make bitter dark chocolate syrup, combine 1 T. boiling water with 1 T. premium cocoa powder in a small bowl.  Whisk until the cocoa powder is completely blended and no lumps remain.  Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment