Saturday, June 23, 2012

Farro Pasta with Wild Arugula Pesto and Ricotta Salata

I think this is my first post since my vacation that doesn’t feature Southern or Caribbean food! I knew I’d snap out of vacation mode and once again source my inspiration from the ingredients and dishes I come across in my day-to-day travels.

Now that farmers’ market season is here, the inspiration is rolling in with far greater frequency than it does during the winter months. Kimball Fruit Farm’s tidy bundles of wild arugula (also known as Sylvetta arugula) inspired this simple, yet bold, pasta dish. If you cannot find wild arugula, readily available baby arugula can be substituted, but the flavor will be milder.

Farro Pasta with Arugula Pesto and Ricotta Salata

1 17 oz. / 500 g box farro pasta*
1 bunch wild arugula (about 6 loosely packed cups of leaves), washed and torn into bits
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c. /60 mL peppery olive oil
dash hot chili oil**
Generous pinch salt
A few grinds black pepper
1 tomato, seeded and finely diced
2 oz. / 60 g ricotta salata, thinly sliced or shaved

Cook the pasta in salted water. In the meantime, put the arugula, garlic, olive oil, chili oil, salt, and pepper in a blender (Save $66 on Omega Commercial Blender at CHEFS) and puree until a paste is formed, adding more olive oil if necessary.

When the pasta is done, drain it in a colander and add it back to the pot. Immediately pour the arugula pesto over the pasta and toss until all strands are coated. Serve in individual bowls, sprinkling the tomatoes and ricotta salata on top of each portion. This dish pairs well with a dry, full-bodied white wine.

* To purchase ingredients used in this recipe, click the image below:



** I used my homemade Ghost Pepper Oil - it adds a good punch of heat without an overwhelming chili flavor.

Nutritional info: serves eight. 300 calories, 9 g fat, 44 g carbohydrates, 9 g protein.


No comments:

Post a Comment