Monday, April 16, 2012

Feeding Tube Diets: It’s Official; the World Has Gone Mad

It’s not too often that I see a news headline that actually shocks me. I’m used to the media’s “if it bleeds, it leads” approach to journalism, but this one left me with a deer-in-headlights stare, asking myself, “Did I read that right?!?”

The K-E Diet: Brides-to-Be Using Feeding Tubes to Rapidly Shed Pounds  

Photo taken from Yahoo/ABC News link

After reading the entire story, my brain morphed into a melting pot of shock, anger, confusion, pity, scorn, and frustration. Once my head stopped spinning, I sunk into a low place of despondency and helplessness.

As my loyal readers know, I do not believe in restrictive dieting. I believe that food is a great source of pleasure, and we should not deny ourselves that pleasure. That being said, I don’t encourage overindulgence and gluttony. I sigh and shake my head when I hear people expressing the belief that enjoyment can only be achieved by eating portions large enough to feed an entire county, desserts that contain a month’s worth of sugar, and extreme combinations of meat, cheese, and fats that are overly processed and deep-fried to the point where one cannot distinguish the individual flavors of each ingredient.

On the other end of the spectrum is the diet industry. I abhor the concept of restrictive dieting, and I am sickened by the things that people are willing to do to themselves in order to drop a few pounds. As we get wider and otherwise less healthy, the diet industry laughs all the way to the bank. This makes me so angry, not only at the diet companies, but at our society in general. What have we become? We’re more willing to spend obscene amounts of money on books, powders, potions, pills, and other snake oils when simply buying and eating more fresh vegetables and taking the stairs instead of the elevator would produce more sustainable results.

People receive praise, or at least social acceptance, when they prove that they’re willing to kill themselves at the gym, malnourish their bodies, and choose drastic surgical options like gastric bypass and liposuction, all because carrying a few extra pounds is viewed as a mortal sin in our culture. Offenses such as lying, cheating, and stealing are often waived off and sometimes even encouraged, but gaining ten pounds is unforgiveable. I hate watching what people, especially women, are willing to do to themselves just to conform to some random, arbitrary societal standard that changes every five minutes and rarely has anything to do with physical or emotional health. And just when I thought nothing the diet industry foists onto the masses could shock me, I find out that women are willfully shoving feeding tubes up their noses just to fit into goddamn dresses?!?

I have no choice but to close my eyes, lower my head, and say, “I give up.” I can spout off about the joys of eating real food. I can lend my Michael Pollan books to everybody in my social circle. I can write blogs and send tweets and encourage my representatives to vote in favor of truth in food labeling, ending industrial agriculture, limiting food marketing targeting children, taxing soft drinks, and supporting small organic farmers, but what the hell good is it going to do? If it’s not dirt-cheap and it’s not a quick fix, nobody fucking cares.

I am struggling to keep my composure and not cry as I write this post. Our culture is broken beyond repair, and it breaks my heart to know that I can’t fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment