Thursday, October 13, 2011

Celebrating Simple Pleasures


Yesterday was the first time all season that I was able to go to the Copley Square Farmers' Market, which is my second favorite outdoor activity, second only to the beach. Wandering through the crowds to inspect all of the fresh, colorful fruits, vegetables, and flowers makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. It's like a mini-vacation - even with sirens and construction noise in the air, somehow I no longer feel like an impatient city dweller whose life revolves around a smartphone and a train schedule. Seeing bushels upon bushels of just-harvested carrots, potatoes, beets, eggplants, lettuces, herbs, peppers, and tomatoes makes me wish I had the luxury of spending every day in a kitchen rather than an office. I'd give just about anything for more time to slice, to saute, to create. The joy of having someone walk into my kitchen and say, "It smells great in here, what are you making?" is a lot more satisfying than the text message I get when my paycheck has been deposited into my bank account. Keeping that in mind, I decided to spend my vacation day cooking and celebrating. What was I celebrating? Being alive and being able to enjoy the simple things.

Picking out my goodies
I circled Copley Square about four times, jotting down mental post-its noting whose lettuces looked the best, which stands had fresh herbs, etc. By the time I left, I'd picked up some lettuces, a bunch of fresh dill, a ball of local smoked mozzarella and a log of goat cheese, a few leeks, and fennel bulbs and a bag of wild arugula from Siena Farms, a local farm that supplies many of Boston's best restaurants. Siena Farms' fennel bulbs were smaller and flatter than the ones spotted in the produce coolers at the Mega-Mart; they were also much more fragrant. I was curious about these bulbs - was this variety of fennel different than the common kind? I did some research, and as it turns out, the gender of the plant determines the shape of the bulb. The male bulbs are larger and rounder, while the female bulbs are smaller in size and flatter in shape. Who knew?!?

Although I had plenty of goodies from the market, my mission was not done. I hopped on the green line and headed to the North End to pick up some seafood and prosciutto. At Mercato del Mare, I stared blankly at the case, trying to get inspired. Liz recommended their swordfish, so I picked up a swordfish steak, and while she was packing up the fish, inspiration struck and I also purchased a pound of calamari and some cockle clams. I was going to make seafood risotto with the leeks and the fennel I'd picked up at the market. Then, I walked over to Salumeria Italiana for their amazing prosciutto. The prosciutto would be wonderful with that wild arugula! On my way back to the train, I walked past Maria's Pastry. I almost made it, but their torrone is like a magnet - I couldn't leave the neighborhood without a sweet treat. I couldn't decide between plain and pistachio, which I took to be a sign that I was supposed to buy both.

I only had one more stop before I could go home and get started on my menu - I needed prosecco. Celebrating a great day would be incomplete without something bubbly in my glass. Once that was in my bag, it was time to go home and create.

Just as a writer has pens, an artist as brushes, and a musician has an instrument, I have knives, pots, and pans. I gathered my paints and my canvases, and I got to work on creating a lovely antipasto plate and a scrumptious seafood risotto. Try these recipes for yourself, and raise a glass in celebration of the simple things.




Individual Antipasto Plates

serves two

2 handfuls wild arugula

12 ripe figs, halved
4-6 thin slices of prosciutto
2 T. crumbled gorgonzola
2-3 t. chestnut honey
olive oil
lemon wedges

Prepare each plate as follows:

Place a handful of the wild arugula in the center of the plate. Surround the arugula with a ring of fig halves, skin-side down. Tear the prosciutto lengthwise into thin strips. Place the strips around the outer edge of the figs, and place one piece in the center on top of the arugula. Place a gorgonzola crumble in the center of each fig half. Drizzle a teaspoon or so of chestnut honey over the ring of figs. Splash a few drops of olive oil on the arugula, and squeeze with a bit of lemon.

Serve with prosecco.



Cockle clams


Shellfish Risotto

generous splash olive
1 leek, sliced (white part only)
1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, thinly sliced, a few fronds reserved for garnish
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup prosecco
5 cups shellfish stock (see below)
1 pound calamari, mostly tentacles - slice tubes into 1/4" rings
1/2 pound cockles or other small clams
1 T. capers
sea salt
parsley, to garnish
Heat the shellfish stock to a low simmer.  In a separate large, heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the leek and fennel.  Saute for about 5 minutes, then add the arborio rice.  Cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, then add the prosecco.  Lower the heat, and stir continuously until the prosecco has been absorbed. 

Now, add a half-cup of shellfish stock.  Stir continuously until the liquid has been absorbed.  Repeat this process until the rice has absorbed the liquid and is almost fully cooked.  In the meantime, place the calamari and the clams in another pan with a bit of olive oil and a splash of the shellfish stock.  Cover, and steam until the clams have open and the calamari has firmed up.  Set aside a few clams in their shells for garnish, remove the meat from the rest and discard the shells. 

When the rice is almost fully cooked and you're on the last addition of liquid, add the calamari, clams, and capers.  Continue to stir until the last of the liquid is absorbed.  Finish with sea salt.  Serve in individual bowls with a clam shell or two, garnished with fennel fronds. 




Shellfish Stock

Shellfish stock is easy to make.  Every time I eat shrimp or lobster, I save and freeze the shells.  Once you have a decent amount of shells, place them in a stockpot with enough water to cover all the shells, add a squirt of lemon juice, a few peppercorns, a pinch of sea salt, and a small handful of celery leaves.  Bring to a boil, then simmer until the broth is reduced a bit and the flavor has intensified.

No comments:

Post a Comment