Thursday, August 11, 2011

Happy Birthday, Bacon, Butter & Booze!

It's Baconbutterbooze.com's birthday - my baby is one year old today! 

365 days ago, I decided to start a food blog.  I sat down on the floor in front of my coffee table with a blank sheet of paper and a pen and jotted down a few thoughts and ideas.  I never had any intention that this would go from a fun hobby to my life's purpose.  I never thought writing posts or hunting down ingredients or studying endless variations of risotto recipes would be things that I'd place on my daily to-do lists. 

(to read where it all began, click here)

In the past year, I've learned how to shuck oysters and subsequently developed an addiction that could cause Dr. Drew to shake his head and groan.  I've gone from texting "Hey Ma, did you read that blog I started?" to a readership spanning 75 countries.  Last summer, I dreaded meeting new people because of the inevitable "So what do you do?" question, but today I proudly hand out Baconbutterbooze.com business cards.  I've tried tripe, sea urchin, salmon roe, bubble tea, pigs' feet, aji sauce, sweetbreads, lychees, wild boar, longans, rabbit, cardamaro, thai eggplant, cactus pads, razor clams, shad roe, tamarind, soft-shell crabs, skate wings, purple potatoes, and many, many new wines.  Last, but not least, I've figured out what I really want out of life - to learn, to create, and to inspire.  Going through life without doing at least one of those three things every day is not living; it is merely existing.

In the span of  8,760 hours, I've come a long way as a cook, as a writer, and as a human being.  Sure, food is necessary for everyone's survival, but food isn't simply a physiological necessity to me; it's a part of who I am.  To take away my ability to cook and share what I've learned and/or created would produce the same end result as cutting off my oxygen supply, my limbs, or my brain function.  Denying me access to a kitchen is no different than denying a drowning man a life vest. 

These days, it seems that everyone with a few pots and pans and a laptop has his or her own food blog.  I don't know if mine stands out at all; I don't know if my writing inspires anyone or if any of my readers have had any great revelations from reading Bacon, Butter & Booze; I don't know if this will ever be anything more than a hobby or a way of convincing myself that I have some sort of higher purpose beyond showing up at my office every day and making money for other people.  That all remains to be seen.  What I do know is that I've had a hell of a year, I'm having a great time cooking, writing, and sharing, and I have no intention of ever slowing down. 

On that note, I must give credit where credit's due and thank everyone who has contributed to this achievement in one way or another.  A gazillion grazie's to:
  • My mom, who undoubtedly consumed great food while I was a fetus and probably turned me into a foodie before I even popped out.  Ma, I can't thank you enough.  Nobody has had a greater influence on me in the kitchen, and nobody's tomato sauce will ever top yours.
  • All my readers.  Knowing that I'm not writing this stuff in a vacuum keeps me going every day.  As long as you keep reading, I'll keep writing and keep cooking.  Stay curious, my friends!
  • Google, for hosting my site and making publishing and advertising so easy.
  • The famous foodies whom I admire - Lidia Bastianich, Anthony Bourdain, Gordon Ramsay, Mario Batali, Martha Stewart, Fabio Viviani, Jeff Smith, Ken Oringer, Paul Bartolotta, and many more - you've all been able to turn your dreams into dollars, and I hope to enter your echelon someday.  I admire all of you.
  • The food shops and restaurants in Boston and beyond that have kept my fridge stocked and my palate inspired, namely Liz and Keri at Mercato del Mare, The Wine Bottega, Salumeria Italiana, Polcari's Coffee, DiPaolo & Rossi, Savenor's Market, Whole Foods Symphony, Harvest Co-Op, Seaport Fish, Golden Harvest, Enoteca Italiana, Estragon, Umbria Prime, Posto, Morton's Steakhouse, Ristorante Fiore, Tico, Florentine Cafe, KO Prime, and many more.  You're the best of the best, and I'm proud to support all of you.
Although I'm proud of what I've accomplished in the past year, I know that I still have billions of recipes to conquer, and I still have much to learn.  Tonight, when I'm out in my highest heels celebrating with a few of my closest friends, I'll drink to what I've done, but when I raise my glass of champagne, I'm toasting to what I'm going to do in the next 365 days - stay tuned!   

No comments:

Post a Comment