Friday, June 17, 2011

A Stanley Cup of Clam Chowder

After 39 years, the Boston Bruins finally won the Stanley Cup. In the decade I've lived here, I've watched the Patriots win numerous Super Bowls, I watched the Red Sox "reverse the curse," and I saw the Celtics win a title, but a Bruins victory eluded me and other Boston hockey fans season after season after season. Considering that besides bacon, butter, and booze, the other thing I live and breathe for is hockey, I went a little wild celebrating on Wednesday night (Fun Fact: When Boston cops are dressed in full riot gear, they will not oblige your request for a high five). However, I didn't go so wild that I wasn't able to cook up a little victory meal for myself the next day.

Despite the fact that I went to work after staying out til 3:00am partying, and despite the fact that I had no energy and no voice left whatsoever, I found the motivation to do something that I've wanted to do for a looonnnnng time - I served New England Clam Chowder in a replica Stanley Cup. Yes, I am THAT dorky. A mixing bowl, a canister of sun-dried tomatoes, a roll of tinfoil, and a few random canned goods and spice jars later, and I had an adorable little faux-Cup. I also made a delicious batch of clam chowder containing bacon, butter, and booze!

While I daydream about serving this recipe to the B's out of the REAL Cup, you can whip up this great version of a New England classic!
 
 
New England Clam Chowder with Bacon, Butter & Booze

1/2 pound potatoes, diced
3 slices smoky bacon, chopped
2 stalks celery, minced
1 large shallot, minced
1 T. butter
splash smoky scotch
16 oz. clam juice
1/2 t. cornstarch
1 t. dried thyme
1 t. garlic powder
1 pint heavy cream
2 3-oz. tins smoked baby clams*
2 6.5-oz cans clams, or 1.5 cups cooked fresh clams
salt and pepper to taste
smoked paprika, to serve

Boil the potatoes until fork-tender; 5-7 minutes. Set aside.

In a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until it begins to crisp along its edges. Add the celery, shallot and butter, and cook until the celery and shallot have softened up. Do not let the shallot burn.

Add the scotch, clam juice, cornstarch, thyme, and garlic powder. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the liquid begins to bubble. Next, add the heavy cream, clams, cooked potatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5-7 minutes, until the liquid is completely heated through. Do not let it boil.

Serve in cups or bowls garnished with a dusting of smoked paprika.
 
* Smoked clams are packed in vegetable oil, which takes on a dark straw color. If you want your chowder ot remain pure white, drain the clams and discard the oil, then pat the clams dry on paper towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment