Friday, February 4, 2011

Bring on the Bagpipes, We're Drinkin' Some Scotch!

To quote Ron Burgandy:  "I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch scotch."


Last night, I attended a Dewars' Discovery event here in Boston. Dewars holds these events every year, and this is the first I've been able to attend - they fill up pretty quickly. A combination between a tasting and a class, the event itself was similar to The Wine Bottega's "Wine 101" lesson in that we were given samples of scotch, as well as samples of the flavor/aroma profiles to look for in a blended scotch - honey, citrus, floral, vanilla, and smoke. Then, using the varieties of single-malt scotches in front of us, we were asked to create our own blend, which I did, and I loved, even if I didn't follow directions. We also learned about the four scotch-producing regions of Scotland and the traits of their whiskys.


Here are several things I learned:


Speyside is where most of Scotland's distilleries are located, and its scotches are citrusy.


Lowlands scotches are lighter in texture, with a sweeter flavor.


Highlands scotches are floral, due to the presence of Heather.


Islay (shown on the map as "island") scotches are smoky, complex, and the absolute best thing to claim Scottish ancestry besides me. OK, most of that sentence is based on opinion rather than fact - but if you're looking for a smoky scotch that tends to bite the back of your throat, go for an Islay single-malt, such as one from Ardbeg or Laphroaig.


Being that this was not only an informative event but a promotional one, the Brand Ambassador obviously extolled the virtues of blended scotch. I have no problem with blended scotch, I've consumed many a bottle of Johnnie Black or Dewars' White. But I'm a single-malt girl, I like that thick smoke flavor you'll taste in the Islay scotches. However, in many cocktails, the complexity of a single-malt will be lost, so this is where blended scotch gets to shine. I've posted recipes for scotch-based cocktails that would work well with a blended scotch (Godfathers, and my original, the Consigliere); Dewars' also presented us with some nice options, such as one that appeared to be a scotch-based mojito, and scotch with ginger beer and lime.


When we got to create our own blends, we were asked to try to create a balanced blend. I didn't want to. I added the entire contents of my smoky Islay scotch to my glass, then I added the entire contents of the floral scotch , followed by half the citrusy scotch , half the vanilla scotch , and just a few drops of the honey scotch. We were explicitly told not to use the entire contents of the smoky scotch, but I've been explicitly told not to do a lot of things in my life. Just sayin'.


My blend would definitely not be approved by the Master Blenders at the Dewars distillery, but I certainly enjoyed it. After all, blending scotch is like making a tomato sauce, which is like creating art - there's no right or wrong answer because taste is subjective. Whether you prefer blends or single malts, smoky or sweet, mixed in a cocktail or served straight with a single ice cube, the important thing is that you enjoy it responsibly, and you enjoy it with friends.


Slàinte!

1 comment:

  1. Island isn't actually Islay. Islay is one of the small islands down near the Kintyre penninsula.

    Here's another region map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/Scotch_regions.svg/600px-Scotch_regions.svg.png

    ReplyDelete